Dental crowns are the optimal choice for protecting a vulnerable tooth and adding structural support to it.
Teeth that have received crowns are never as strong as totally intact teeth and proper care should be taken to ensure these ‘crowned’ teeth give you long trouble-free service. Though crowns may not need special care, however, it is important to understand that the underlying tooth is not protected and it is prone to decay and gum diseases. This is why you must stick to a good oral hygiene practice.
Aftercare instructions for dental crowns
Temporary dental crowns
- Avoid sticky and chewy food
- Minimize use of the side of your mouth with the temporary crown
- Avoid chewing hard foods like raw vegetables, ice, etc.
- Brush gently, and don’t floss around the temporary filling
- Rinse with warm salt water if necessary
Long-term care for your permanent new dental crown
- For 24 hours the above same rules apply after the final crown is fitted.
- A cold compress should be applied to the appropriate side of the face to minimize swelling
- The tooth will be temperature sensitive for a few days; sensitivity toothpaste generally helps
- Cold soups that don’t trigger sensitivity are the best option
- You can brush and floss as usual
- Grinding and clenching must be avoided at all cost
- Wear a mouth guard while playing contact sports
- It will require few days to adjust to the permanent dental crown and to chew properly
- Smoking should be stopped as it inhibits healing and prolongs recovery time
- Alcohol must be avoided as it may react with the medication
- Though very rare, if the crown gets chipped or come loose, contact our office immediately
- Don’t use your teeth to open a bottle or bite you’re your fingernails or pencil tips
- We’ll assess your bite within the first 48 hours post operation
You should visit us regularly at least 6 months so that any problem around the crown can be detected at an early stage and easily corrected.
Mouth is an extremely sensitive part of our body and it requires taking extra care immediately after a dental treatment. We at Laser Dental Center are here to give you the best of advice and service for Dental Implants.